I have been putting together corona resources for the past few weeks now, this list is again non-exhaustive, but I will continue to post these weekly digests to help you make the best of these uncertain times. Together (in spirit), we got this!
Credits: Fee free to share and forward. I found most of these resources on LinkedIn shared by Priya Gupta. 🙂
Virtual Group Activities
- HouseParty for spontaneous virtual hangouts (Chrome extension, desktop app, and mobile apps all available)
- Netflix Party Chrome extension for synchronized TV/movie watching. Notes:
- Each person needs Google Chrome and a Netflix subscription
- The extension only has a chat function, so you can use Zoom or Google Hangouts to see your friends while watching
- For larger viewing parties, turn on the “Only I Have Control” button before you start the Netflix Party so no one accidentally starts/stops the movie/show
- Steam for gaming without a console. Important notes:
- Only one person needs to buy any given game in order for a group to play
- Make sure you purchase the game ON Steam (vs. PS4 or some other platform. You cannot transfer the game onto Steam from another platform)
- Games still need to be installed and run on your computer, so check which type of computer the game is compatible with (e.g. Overcooked can only be installed on Windows, Overcooked 2 can be installed on Mac)
- Jackbox.TV for gaming. Note: Only one person needs to own Jackbox Games
- GamePigeon for gaming
- PlayingCards.io for virtual card games (Cards Against Humanity, Checkers, etc.)
- AuxParty for group music listening
NOTE: If you have the financial resources to pay for virtual classes at small businesses, do so. You’ll support the small business and instructors. If you’re getting exercise for free; you should feel comfortable asking the business how their instructors are being compensated.
- PopSugar Fitness on YouTube
- Peloton standalone exercise app, which now has a 90-day trial
- SWEAT: Kayla Itsines Fitness (iOS link) (Android link)
- DownDog Yoga is free until July 1 for college folks and healthcare professionals:
- Modo Yoga NYC is doing daily live yoga and meditation sessions on IG Live
- PE with Joe is doing live lessons on YouTube every morning. I personally love this one, and Joe!
Cultural Entertainment (also good for kids!)
- International List of Virtual Museum Tours
- US List of Virtual Museum Tours
- Google Earth Tours of UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Google Earth Tours of US National Parks
- BroadwayHD offers on-demand Broadway shows. 7-day free trial, $8.99/mo afterwards
- Nonprofit Broadway Sings for Pride also offers Broadway content, explained here
- Virtually visit the San Diego Zoo, Yellowstone National Park and the Great Wall of China
NOTE: If you have the financial resources to pay for books and audiobooks, please continue to do so. Everyone still needs financial support during this time. If you use the library, please consider donating to them; their work for the community goes well beyond providing books.
- Download Libby (iOS, Android) to borrow eBooks and audiobooks from any public library
- Lots of books are available for free in the National Emergency Library, though it’s a lot to dig through (this article lists examples of what you can find)
Things for you
As a reminder, most employers offer Employee Assistance Programs. Ask your human resources representative to share information about it. The program offers helpful resources for self-care and handling care for others.
Things for your children
- Remote Learning Resources and Strategies | Grades PreK-K
- 10 tips for talking about COVID-19 with your kids | PBS NewsHour
- Activities for Kids at Home After Coronavirus School Closure | Time
- Curiosity at Home | Pacific Science Center
- Also, Khan Academy released daily schedules for students in pre-K through grade 12 to follow from home.
Things for work
- Working From Home Because of COVID-19 | Tech Ideas – Consumer Reports
- Virtual Happy Hour Anyone? Working From Home But Keeping Connected
Things to try
- Best Homemade Donuts Recipe – How To Make Donuts At Home
- Traditional Irish Soda Bread
- Homemade Banana Pudding
- 20 Easy Breads to make at home
Stay tuned for more resources, it’s a request to everyone reading this – please stay home. This is for you, this is for us to flatten the curve.