Today on the blog, we have the lovely Julie Blume (founder of Our Happy Place) talking about celebrating your child’s birthday during the lockdown. A lot of these ideas are adorable, I have a birthday this week and I will definitely be creating some memories on the day with tons of pictures, cake, and a zoom party.
If you have an upcoming birthday party to plan, why not ask for some ideas in the comments section. Julie and I are listening 🙂
Not only has the Coronavirus impacted the way we go to school and work, but it has also affected how we celebrate. Your child has a birthday during quarantine and is sad about not being able to invite his friends over. You being the amazing mother that you are already quite stressed multi-tasking much more than usual. Well, you are not alone, we are all in this together and are doing our best to keep our sanity. I have news for you, it is still possible to create a memorable birthday for your child during the crisis, and here’s how:
Create memories that last a lifetime
Time flies when you are having fun…and it flies even faster when you have children! One day they are turning “1” and stuffing chocolate cake into their mouth with their hands and the next they are “16” (going on 25). You think to yourself, “How did this happen? How did they grow up so fast??? I want to remember every moment this year so I don’t forget this special day!”. Here are a couple ideas to create memories that will last forever.
- Have an interview with the birthday child. Download this free Birthday Interview questionnaire and take a video of your child reading their answers
- Make your own photo props (like these) and take silly pictures that you can print and put into a handmade mini photo album
Celebrate with friends (virtually, of course!)
We are all adjusting to this lockdown, and yes, we can’t wait to be able to hug our extended families and friends. BUT…let’s be thankful for technology and all that it offers us in these crazy times! From Zoom to HouseParty to Skype, there’s an app out there to help you connect with friends and families while we are in lockdown! How can you still give that “physical” presence to your party? Here are a few ideas!
- Bake cupcakes or your child’s favorite sweet and make your own cake topper(s) out of washi tape, paper & pens, string, and wooden skewers/toothpicks.
- Invite your friends to a virtual party! Make handmade invitations or cards showing the virtual party date and time and deliver to friends along with a cupcake or something sweet they can eat with you during the “party”.
- No party decorations? Create your own! There are so many easy decorations you can make yourself. Garlands brighten up the room and can be made out of just about anything, from paper, yarn (tassels and pom-poms), balloons, and fabric to painted pasta and beads. Get creative! Here’s some Pinterest inspiration to help!
So, we’ve taken care of creating memories and celebrating with friends. Now comes the fun part: games and activities! Depending on your child’s age and what interests they have, there’s loads of fun to be had using everyday things around the house.
- DIY party games, such as themed treasure hunts, balloon games, charades, music challenges, dance-offs…there’s sooooo much to choose from! Here’s a great source of party games for kids from the Childhood 101 blog.
- Create a “sleepover” movie night in your lounge. Àgi, the lovely owner of Teepee Friends, suggests placing mattresses on the floor, piling them high with all the cushions you can find and adding some final touches with flowy fabric and fairy light garlands. Et voilà, the perfect atmosphere to watch a favorite movie in!
If you choose to do only a couple or all of the above, you will definitely put a smile on your child’s face! And once this is all over and life returns to some sort of normal (whatever that might be!), we will be happy to welcome you at Our Happy Place to celebrate face to face!
In the meantime, download your free Birthday Interview questionnaire and contact us at email@example.com if we can help you with custom gift ideas for creative kids, teens, and adults!
Be safe. Be creative. Be happy!
Stay tuned for more resources, we have some great content lined up with experts in various fields – marketing gurus, coaches, wellness experts, chefs, and teachers to get you through this tough time. Stay safe and healthy! Make the most of your quarantine with My Swiss Story.